Thursday, January 20, 2011

Android budget tablet: Archos 70 Review


When I first started looking for a tablet, I was looking for a cheaper Android tablet that came with Android 2.2.  Originally, I wasn't sure what size I wanted, but ultimately, I wanted something pretty portable and cheap to use as an e-reader.  This eliminated several 10" varieties including the impressive Viewsonic ViewPad10.  Ultimately, I decided on the Archos 70 for price and features. This tablet has become a hot item so if you are looking for one, you might need to use your best Google muscles to find one.  When I started looking into them on a Monday, I later purchased mine Tuesday night (on 1/5/2011) for a cool $275 at newegg, as I mentioned in my last post, and by Thursday three online retailers went out of stock (including newegg).  As of 01/20/2011, newegg.com is still out of stock.



Out of the Box

The android market doesn’t come pre-loaded, but if you follow these instructions, you should be able to get the basic google apps loaded (including the market).  Why do you care?  Well, you will have access to over 100,000 apps and many of them are free.



Get the Android Market loaded up

  1. Power the device on, walk through the tutorial, connect to wireless network, and then install the firmware update from Archos.  (Do this first!!)
  2. Download the Android Market and Google sync applications (calendar, contacts, etc) Installer.
  3. Optional:  Download the other Google Apps (includes Google Maps, Google Voice)
  4. Transfer the installer(s) to your tablet (or just download using your browser on the tablet)
  5. Use the "Files" application to find and execute the gAppsInstaller_v5-final.apk file.
  6. Walk through the setup tutorial (which will allow you to choose to install the extra apps if you choose to do so)
  7. Reboot tablet
  8. Connect to Market and download your favorite apps.

Fix the Android Market

If you are having problems seeing your favorite apps, or if you are missing a bunch of apps in the Market, some people need to do the following to get the Market to work called the "Market Fix":
  1. On your tablet navigate to Settings -> Applications --> Manage Applications
  2. Select the "Running" tab
  3. Find and select "Market" app
    • Touch the "Clear Cache" button  (NOT the "Clear Data" button....I hear this is bad)
    • Touch the "Force Stop" button
    • Press the "Back" button on your tablet
    1. Find and select "Google Services Framework"
      • Touch the "Clear Data" button
      • Touch the "Force Stop" button
      1. Reboot tablet
      2. Try accessing the Market again

      Screen


      The capacitive screen responds to touch input pretty well, and I haven’t seen a lag at all.  Overall, the screen looks better than I expected considering the resolution is a little on the low side at 800 x 480 with 384,000 pixels, which is the same as my HTC EVO.  It looks pretty sharp!  It costs around $.00071614583 per pixel vs. the Samsung Galaxy Tab ($629 with contract at 1024 x 600 with 614,000 total pixels) costs around $.001026058 per pixel.  Using the Kindle app, e-books look pretty good and are easy on the eyes at the default text settings (I was a little worried about that).  I heard some people complain that at certain viewing angles it becomes really hard to see.  That is very true, but since it is a 7” tablet, I am pretty sure I have the strength to tilt it to my liking while holding in my hand.  This isn’t a 52” TV on my wall or a computer monitor that is fixed to my desk so it is pretty easy to fix that problem.


      Battery Life

      …has been pretty amazing.  I have my processor cranked up using the “Over Drive” setting, but I still get some AMAZING battery life.  Of course, I am an EVO user, so it probably doesn’t take much to impress me.  When it goes to sleep (not actually powering the device off), it basically shuts down and uses very little juice.  I left it at work over the weekend by accident, and when I checked it Monday night it still had 52% of the battery.  My laptop doesn’t even last that long in sleep mode (sure it’s 5 years old now, but still).  It wonder if this is ARM architecture goodness, great Archos power management layer on top the Android OS, or just a great battery.  Either way, thank you Archos.

      E-book reader



      I love the fact that I have options.  I downloaded four e-reader apps: Kindle, Nook, Google Books, and Overdrive Media Console (for checking books out from the library).  Due to book costs, I have bought three books through Amazon Kindle and the app is really nice.  The book print looks pretty great on the tablet.  I was a little surprised that book prices were so different.  One book I was looking at was $17 for Amazon Kindle and $30 for Barnes and Noble's Nook app.  Why do Nook books cost more than print books on Barnes and Noble's site?  This seems like an odd pricing move.  Either way, I am glad I am not locked into Nook or Kindle.

      Media Machine

      Easily connected to my home pc out of the box (after entering username and password) and was easily able to "stream" a DVD from my PC.  I was pretty impressed.  Although, from what I have heard, Archos made their name with personal media players...so this makes sense.


      For the value, I would say that you can't beat the price.  If you are looking for a budget tablet, put this one at the top of your list!



      6 comments:

      1. Keith, just so you know...if you ever find any apps that simply aren't coming up in searches on the Market, then this is when you DO want to "Clear Data" in Step 3 of your "Fix Android Market" tutorial.

        Clearing the Data will take the Market back to it's original form, and for some reason allow you to find certain apps that you still can't find after doing "the fix."

        Basically, if you can't find what you're looking for, clear data will take you back in time to before you did the fix. Try doing that to find what you are looking for, and then do the fix again to get back to find the things that you can't find now. Kind of a circle of frustration, really. But with those two fixes in mind, you should be able to get just about everything off of the market.

        Jeff

        ReplyDelete
      2. Thanks for the information Jeff!

        ReplyDelete
      3. the usb host and tethering are pathetic on archos 70 it. i have tried it with so many different devices. hardly a few seem to find the compatibility.

        ReplyDelete
      4. I'm curious about streaming video from my laptop to my A70. How is that setup done?

        ReplyDelete
      5. Really you can get very good features by using this Android Tablets.This is one of the useful post.Keep it up.
        Android app developers

        ReplyDelete
      6. I agree with your Blog and I will be aback to analysis it added in the a future so please keep up your work. I likes your content & the way that you write. because it actual absorbing , already to apprehend this accessories and it makes a acceptable impression.

        ReplyDelete